Just like that, we're in October! Time sure flies when you're having fun!
Bryden was our Star Student last week, and we loved learning more about him. Mr. Owl went home for the weekend with him, and our class is eager to learn about their adventures! Amara is up next this week!
We had a busy week last week!
In math we continued learning about numbers 0-10. We explored ways of making ten, as well as 'how many more' to make 10. We used our magnetic ten frames, as well as the Ten Frame app on the iPads. We're focusing on learning to count to 100. During calendar we are using tally marks, as well as tens/ones, to keep track of the number of days of school.
In Reading we discussed how to read a book. (Where to start, left to right, top to bottom.) We also continued our discussion of 'good fit' books. We used the PicCollage app to take pictures of good fit books, and how to AirDrop them to my teacher iPad (it honestly blew my mind how quickly they picked up how to do that! And how cool that I can see what one group is doing while I am conferencing with another group at the same time!)
In Phonics we worked on syllables. For our final activity, they were tasked (in partners) to a Classroom Syllable Scavenger hunt and asked to locate a 1, 2, and 3 syllable word. They then took a picture of each through PicCollage and AirDropped to my iPad. I was so impressed with how well they did!! Very creative! (One set of partners took a picture of our classmate Nicolas for a 3 syllable word since those words are few and far between in the room! We all had a giggle!!)
In Handwriting Without Tears we worked on P and B. Our word wall words were 'do' and 'for'. Our word family was -ot.
In Writing Workshop we talked about moving from lists, or just pictures, and using resources in the room to help us write words for our story. We discussed using the Word Wall, color/shapes word displays, calendar words, and the sound card that we put in each folder. They worked SO hard, and I loved seeing them apply these strategies!
In Science we discussed changes in properties. I pulled out a popsicle and told them I was saving it for after school, and wanted to keep it out so I didn't forget about it. They were very concerned for me, telling me that it would melt. I kept it out, and sure enough...they were right! ;) We recorded our observations in our science journals, and I admitted that I should have listened to their warnings! Ha! Our ice sculpture was so fun, and melted a LOT by the end of the day turning into a rainbow slush.
Our class photographer was Macy. She took a lot of great photos! I unfortunately neglected to send them on over to my iPad to share this weekend, so I will send them out this week. Sorry about that!
I am just about finished with the reading assessments, and my goal is to start pulling my guided reading groups this week. I'll start sending home reading folders soon, and will get you more info at the end of this week as to what that will look like.
- October 6th: Kindergarten Open House 5:30-6:30 come and go (a note went home in the Tuesday folder)
- October 10th: No School- Columbus Day
- October 25th: Scary Story Literacy Night 6:00-7:30pm
- October 26th: Early release at noon
- October 27th: Field Trip to the Thinkery
- October 28th: FBE Field Day (ours will be in the morning, I'll share more details as I get them)
- If you plan to volunteer at Field Day or on the field trip, you have to complete the RRISD volunteer application. It takes a few days to process, so I encourage you to fill it out as soon as possible.
- As the weather starts to become a bit more chilly, please send a light coat to school with your child.
- Work Room on Mondays:
* Please let me know if you can volunteer on Monday mornings (7:50) in the workroom. Even 30 minutes helps! Right now I only have one volunteer, and it would be great for her to have some help. Thanks SO much for your support and all you do!
- I would love to start having a parent (or grandparent) reader start coming to read their favorite books to our class on Fridays at 9:50. I'll be sending a Google doc for those interested to sign up early in this week. The class will LOVE it!
Thanks so much for your support! Please let me know if you have any questions or thoughts!