I am having a hard time believing that this was the last day of the 3rd nine weeks! This year is flying by, and I am SO proud of the progress each of your kiddos is making!
I hope that each of you had a great Spring Break, and everyone was able to relax and have fun!
We took this week off from Star Student, but will pick back up with Jude next week. Looking forward to learning more about him!
Our class was very excited that during the week leading up to Spring Break, we won the Golden Shoe! This is given out weekly for great hallway behavior, and we have been really targeting that goal as a class. The cheers around the room were awesome, and I had one kiddo say that their 'heart was beating so fast' because they were super excited. It was a great opportunity to discuss how our hard work has led to improvement! :)
In Math this week, we learned about joining numbers. We acted out problems using our bodies, dominos, and linking cubes. We also discussed vocabulary that lets us know when to add. We created our own addition book (I'll turn it into an e-book for you to enjoy!), and worked in partners to create our own addition problems.
In Language Arts we discussed Media Literacy and what that looks like. We read stories that targeted the influence that media literacy can have. We also used the ads brought from home to create our own ads. Thanks for sending those in! Our word wall word was "from" and our word family was -ing. During Writer's Workshop we continued to set goals for writing, and added more resources to our folder to help us grow as a writer. We will be publishing our work soon!
In Science we learned about Spring. We made a chart with our previous knowledge, and added to it each day. We made sure to use a different color marker when we added new knowledge, and we found that each day we learned several new things through literature, educational videos, and exploration. It was great for them to have a visual on how they learn more and more each day!
A few reminders:
- Library books are due each Monday. Students cannot check out a new one that day if they have not returned their book. They really look forward to getting a new one, so please try to make sure they are returned.
- Poetry folders are due back on Mondays. Please return the books that come home with them, and place the new poem in the brads.
- Red reading folders come home every Tuesday/Thursday. I have several that have not made it back to school. Please make sure to return these...and if you need extra time, please just send me an email.
- Friday, March 25: No School
- Tuesday/Wednesday: We will have STAAR testing in the building. We are not encouraging visitors these 2 days. If there are visitors, they have to be monitored at all times (even lunch).
- Tuesday folders will come home on Friday.
I also wanted to share that I will be sending home sight words that your child is still working on for them to practice at home. Please look for these in the homework folder next week. Learning these words will help them become a stronger reader, and will also help in their writing.
Please make sure to have your child read to you nightly. We are working really hard to meet exit level kindergarten expectations by the end of they year, and your partnership at home greatly helps their academic success.
Thanks so much for all you do!! Please let me know if you have any thoughts/concerns. Have a great three day weekend!