Wow, the week just flew by! I had such a great time with your kiddos, and am very impressed with how well they are making the transition into kindergarten. I also need to give a shoutout to each of you for how quickly you are returning things I send home for signatures! Thanks so much!
Thank you all again for items off of my wish list! They will be put to good use!
This week we focused on getting to know one another, feeling comfortable in our school building, and routines/procedures. They did a fantastic job!! They very much enjoyed the Gingerbread man hunt. We used QR codes to discover our clues of where he went next. They were bummed that he got away from us, but THRILLED that he left us cookies to enjoy! :)
Here is a recap of things we discussed:
Behavior Management System:
* Stars: Each student arrives to three stars on their desk. There is also a 'star chart' with ten spaces to fill in with additional stars for each kiddo. When a student ends their day with three stars on their desk, they add a star to the main chart. I also have them add stars to their chart throughout the day when they are making good choices, and being a good leader/classmate. When they fill up their ten spots with stars, they get to take them off and redeem them for a fun reward. Then they start back over! If a student is making poor choices, or has been redirected more than once for an action, they lose a star from their desk. If all three stars are lost in one day, they will complete an 'oops' note for parents to discuss with them and return signed the next day.
* Class Compliment jar: We add marbles in a small jar anytime we get a compliment from an adult in school...and also when I give them compliments for an outstanding job in the classroom. We'll have a fun activity each time it is filled to the top.
* Tuesday folders will go home each Tuesday, and will need to be returned signed the next day.
* Homework folders will go home on Tuesdays and returned on Mondays.
* In a few weeks I will begin to send home reading folders. I'll send more info when this starts.
Take Home Bags:
* Star Student Bag: I'll be sending out a list soon of when your child will be Star Student. They will take home a bag with fun activities, and our 'class pet' Mr. Owl for the weekend. This is always a hit!!
* Birthday Bag- I LOVE birthdays!! I have a fun bag with activities for students to complete for their birthday. We have a few birthdays that fall on the same day this year, so we'll need to get creative with the schedule.
* Lost Tooth Bag: Each kiddo takes this home when they lose a tooth. There are books to read, and a page for them to complete telling all about it. Let me know if your kiddo has lost one recently, and I'll send it home!
* Our class is split and follows two specials schedules. We call the students that make up another section for specials the Kinder Kittens. I'm posting the schedule on my website for you to see, and will list which students are Kinder Kittens. Please make sure your child has on tennis shoes on PE days.
* If you have either of these accounts, please follow our class! If you don't have one, I encourage you to set one up even if it's just to follow us. I'll be posting a lot of great things throughout the week!
* If you plan to volunteer in the classroom/workroom/school events, or join us on a field trip. you will need to fill out the RRISD volunteer application. Here is the link:
Thanks so much for all your support this week! Your kiddos were such a joy, and I am already looking forward to seeing them on Monday! Please remember to attach the purple info sheet for two more school days.
Have a wonderful weekend! Please let me know if you have any thoughts/questions!