Wow, this week went by so quickly! The kids had an amazing week, and filled up our compliment jar!! Their reward is to bring a small stuffed animal to join us in our 100 day fun on Monday!
We had a new friend join our class! Nushka is a wonderful addition, and we are so excited to have her!
Ashton was our Star Student, and we enjoyed learning more about him! Connor is up next week!
In math, we focused on the number 100! We read several stories about the number, created cupcakes with 100 sprinkles, placed 100 toppings on our class pizza, estimated the number of items in jars (followed up with counting to see if we were correct), and discussed different ways to make 100. Tons of fun to lead up to our 100th day of school on Monday!
In Science, we explored heat/light/sound. Such a fantastic learning experience! We used our sense of hearing to chart sounds we heard inside versus sounds we heard while exploring outside. We discussed the ways to create heat...and today was our Light Lab! This was a BLAST! We had a flashlight scavenger hunt, shadow puppets, light projection to discover what items are see through, and which ones break up light and scatter it in different directions, and an area with glow sticks and light up glasses. Your kiddos loved it, and learned tons along the way!
In Language Arts, we read many stories with the theme of 100. We wrote responses to each story. We continued working on sentence dictation, and the formation of lower case letters in Handwriting Without Tears. We focused on the sight word 'how' and word family -un.
Ms. O'Brien visited our class today for our guidance lesson. She discussed kindness, and how to make a person's "love light" shine. Ask your kiddos about it!
Updates and Reminders:
- Green poetry folders go home today, and are due on Monday.
- Library books are due on Monday.
- If you were unable to send in your child's 100 items, please send them on Monday.
- A class list was provided for each student to make a Valentine for their classmates. Please also send a bag with handles (gift bags are perfect for this) for your child to collect their Valentine cards in the day of the party. Also, if you are attaching food type items to the cards, please remember that it must be store bought, not homemade.
- Thursday, February 11th: Class picture day. Please return the envelope with payment if you are interested in purchasing a class picture.
- Friday, February 12th: Valentine's Party @11:15-12:00
Thanks so much for all you do! Please let me know if you have any questions or thoughts!