Hope everyone had a great week!! Ours was busy, but wonderful!
Heath was our Star Student, and we enjoyed learning more about him! Isabella is up next week, and we're looking forward to it.
I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a kindergarten conference on Monday/Tuesday. There were so many great things I took away, and am so excited to integrate the new ideas into our classroom!
In math, we talked about graphs. We made real life graphs using our bodies, we used manipulatives to make graphs, and worked on individual graphs. We learned about line, bar, and picture graphs. Each student was given an individual graph topic and had to poll friends to determine their 'favorite'. This was so great! They used the clipboards, and did a fantastic job of asking each friend for the information they needed. We then turned it into a class book. I was able to use an idea I learned about from one of the technology in the classroom workshops I attended, and turn that class book into a digital book for you to see! The kids and I discussed how we are the only ones to get to enjoy the hard copy, and we wanted to be able to share with parents....so here is the link for you to be able to do so:
In Language Arts we discussed folk tales. We read several, and worked on retelling. We also continued to discuss the story elements (setting, character, problem, solution). In writing, we are working on using details to write a beginning, middle, and end of a story. Our word family was -ub, and word wall word was 'with'.
In Social Studies we talked about United States Symbols. We focused on the American Flag, Bald Eagle, Liberty Bell, and Statue of Liberty. We learned about what each symbolized, and why that is important to our county.
Next week we will learn about:
Math: Continue graphing
Language Arts:Compound words, Dr. Seuss, beginning sound deletion, word wall word: then, word family -ake
Social Studies: Technology (then and now)
Updates and Reminders:
- Red reading folders: Please remember to send these back to school after your kiddo reads the book to you. We have quite a few that have not been returned. Please try to send them on Monday. If you need more time, please just send me an email so that I know that they are working on it.
- Poetry folders: Please return on Monday. I also wanted to ask to be sure to put the poem in the brads. This will ensure that they have a full poetry collection at the end of the year. Also, the books that come home in the poetry folder need to be returned to school with the folder. We put these in our book boxes for independent reading.
- Library books are due on Monday.
A few special requests:
- If you have any age appropriate board games or puzzles you are thinking of donating, we could use them, please!
- For our Dr. Seuss unit we need a box of rainbow colored goldfish. We have a few activities that include these. A big box would be perfect. Please let me know if you are able to help with this. Thanks in advance!
- Also, we could use some ink pads to go in our literacy and math areas...if you happen to have any extra or come across a deal on some, we would really appreciate it!
Thank you so much for your support!!
- March 2nd: Early Release @ 12:45
- Friday, March 4th, Field Day (more details coming soon!)
- March 14-18: Spring Break
Thanks so much for your support at home! Please let me know if you have any questions/thoughts. Enjoy the weekend!