Hope you had a great week! What a beautiful weekend! My 4th grade daughter is about to join me on a day trip to deliver the books that our school collected to The Oaks school in Houston. My car is full! Thanks so much for those donations!
Tons of learning and fun this week in kindergarten! We explored with numbers 0-10 using ten frames, number lines, and dice. We also used a fun dice app to 'roll' the dice and quickly name the number. This would be fun at home! Please continue to give your kiddos opportunities to identify numbers 0-10, as well as count objects 0-10 to help give a solid foundation of number sense. We'll keep practicing in the classroom as well!
The class is getting a deeper understanding of problem solving in math. We've discussed that the 'how' and 'why' is an important journey in solving a problem, not just knowing the answer. We've been walking through the process, and using pictures to solve problems...and then use words to describe our steps. So proud of your kiddos!
This group LOVES to write!! They ask for extra time, and can't wait to share with the class. This week we targeted attempting to stretch out words that match our picture, specifically naming the character and setting. So fun watching their confidence grow and the smiles on their faces as they put their thoughts into words on paper!! They are blowing me away with their efforts!
We introduced Science journals, and how to think like a scientist. We talked about safety, and the tools that are needed to investigate the world around us.
Last but not least, our class earned the Track Attack Flag due to having the most laps in kindergarten. It's hanging proudly outside our door! Way to go, kiddos!!
Word Family, Sight Words: -ad, to, up
Word Work/Phonics: onset and rime
Writing Workshop: Resources in our folder, spaceman, penmanship
Reading Workshop: Digging deeper into characters (traits, dialogue, compare/contrast)
Science: Properties of matter
Technology: Kahoot, Nearpod, Seesaw
- Reading folders will begin coming home this week. I typically send on T/Th, but will start on Thursday due to the Kindergarten Academic night. Please have your child read the book, and please sign the parent log. I'll also include sight words that your child is currently practicing. You are welcome to keep these flashcards at home to work on nightly, or keep them in the folder to practice when it comes home.
- Please send a snack to school each day. We have lunch at 10:32, and they are pretty hungry around 2:00. There have been several kids lately that do not have a snack, so just wanted to send a reminder. Thanks for your help! :)
- Monday, October 2nd: Star Student: Gigi
- Tuesday, October 3rd 5:30-6:30: Kindergarten Academic Night (come and go)
- Thursday, October 5th: School Pictures
- Friday, October 6th: Parent Reader: Hector Lopez
- October 9/10: No school. Staff developement
- Friday, October 13: Field Day! :)
- Wednesday, November 29: Thinkery Field Trip (info soon!)
Thanks so much for your partnership at home! Hope you all enjoy this beautiful weekend!