We had a great week with Alexander as our Star Student, and look forward to learning more about Cara next week!
In Language Arts, we learned about three ways to read a book, concepts of print, and tracking print while we read. We worked on the letters B and P in Handwriting Without Tears. We focused on the purpose of writing, and using our sound card and idea card as resources in Writer's Workshop.
In math, we continued focusing on the numbers 0-5, and the concept of number sense. The kids worked in partners to play number Memory, and make pairs matching the numbers to the corresponding five frame picture and dots. We continued working on problem solving in our math journals.
In Science, we continued our discussion of properties of matter and using our five senses to explore. We discussed using texture and size to describe an object's properties as well. We experimented to have a clear understanding in regards to weight vs. size. The class favorite was our taste test...we tried four different items (super small samples) and put them under the category of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. We used this activity to also experiment with exploring texture and smell.
In Social Studies, we focused on citizenship and responsibilities/rules. We discussed problem solving techniques and discussed the concepts of rights and responsibilities.
- We have library Monday. Please send in library books.
- Please return yellow homework folders on Fridays.
- Green poetry folders are returned on Mondays.
- Scholastic Book orders are due by Wednesday the 7th if you would like to order.
- October 6 (5:30 to 6:30): Kindergarten Open house
- October 7th: International Walk or Bike to School Day
- October 12th: Student Holiday
- October 28th: Early Release Day
- November 6th: Field Day
October birthdays in our class:
22nd- Mrs. Williams
Hope everyone has a fantastic week!